As consumers stay home for the greater good, they have passed their panic and are initiating a lipstick effect, treating themselves to the small luxuries that beauty can offer. The result: beauty is booming online. However, the Zoom beauty consumer has a few surprises up her sleeve; here we offer a glimpse into her psyche both via search behavior and new research from our influencer community. Of note: there was a softening of color cosmetics pre-pandemic which has continued as women WFH. However, our Glimmer Community expressed strong excitement for makeup and bright colors post-quarantine, indicating a potential resurgence.
THE GOOD NEWS FROM BEAUTY ONLINE: TOP HIGHLIGHTS TO KNOW
- Online beauty sales are trending back upwards and were up 10% in March vs. February overall
- Predictions place April growth at 13.5% over March
- Searches for skincare, hair, and makeup have risen dramatically since March 15th. As of March 29th, the increase in WoW searches:
- 75.7%: skincare
- 75.6%: makeup
- Within our own client portfolio, beauty e-commerce revenue is up 27% vs. prior period and YAGO
- From a last touch point of view, social, email and paid search driven revenue is up approximately 35% vs prior period and paid social is up by 27%
Stella Rising has deep expertise in the beauty category, and through strong digital experiences and expert research we help beauty brands shine. Looking to position your brand for a positive future? Connect with us.