New behaviors for food and beverage consumers are turning into new routines. Over six months into the pandemic, habits have changed and grocery shoppers are trying new products, delivery methods, stores, and services. We conducted comprehensive research to understand what’s now—and also what’s next. Critically important is understanding the balance of in-store vs. online: when do consumers seek out those experiences and what are their journeys?
RESEARCH HIGHLIGHTS: WHAT FOOD AND BEVERAGE BRANDS NEED TO UNDERSTAND NOW
- Grocery retailing will be a $707.3B business in 2020, up from $675.75B in 2019
- Food and beverage is predicted to be 2020’s fastest-growing ecommerce category, with a 58.5% YoY increase
The Role of In-Store
- 81% of consumers shop in-store; while digital is growing, in-store grocery retailing still dominates
What Happens Next
- 69% of consumers believe stocking up will happen again
- 43% will take part; 27% will not
The (Increasing) Role of Digital
- 43% Online Shoppers Started Because of COVID-19
- 91% of online consumers like their experience
- 91% of online shoppers plan to continue shopping digitally, even when they feel safe enough to return in-store
At Stella Rising, expert and relevant consumer research informs all of our strategies. If you are a food and beverage brand seeking to thrive in the new normal, connect with us.